Saturday, December 16, 2006

JUST 9 MORE DAYS

“Let's be naughty and save Santa the trip.” -Gary Allan

So, it's been a kinda freaky winter so far in Michigan. Tomorrow the temp is supposed to reach 54 degrees. It's only dipped below 30 maybe three times so far. Something is clearly amiss. I've been here for three winters and each one has been warmer than the last. My neighbor Dave has a snow removal business that ain't much of a business lately.
But let's not start blaming global warming. After all, we wouldn't want to be impulsive and start making policies that might undermine our economic stability.

Now, personally, I can't stand the cold. Living in the Pacific Northwest for 11 years spoiled me. Whenever the temp drops below 30 I get pretty damn grumpy. It doesn't help that SE Michigan is so damn gray. It depresses my mood mightily.

Which is weird because living in Seattle and Portland the five months of rain never really affected me. I think it was the combination of lush greenery and moderate temps that kept me buoyant.

"Roses are reddish
Violets are bluish
If it weren't for Christmas
We'd all be Jewish."
-Benny Hill

Anyway, my son Nate has been getting more and more excited about the upcoming holidays. Surprisingly, he refuses to list the things he hopes Santa will bring him. Instead he says he wants to be a surprised. Pretty sophisticated for a 4-year-old.

Lately, he's been telling me about this holiday where people light eight candles and play with a spinning thing. It's called Harmonica.

“Tinsel is really snake mirrors.” -Steven Wright

With Yule on the mind, here are some festive links to get you in the holiday mood.

  1. 'Tis the season to get noodly.
  2. For the evil villain on your xmas list may I suggest...
  3. 2400 Christmas tunes... all at once.
  4. A pair of charities that deserve your support: laptops or thumbdrives.
  5. How Santa does it.
  6. I'm dreaming of a black Christmas.
  7. Life as a Mall Santa.
  8. The ultimate family gift.
  9. The Hairy Christmas Fairy. Egad!
  10. Cool stocking stuffers (great gift site)

"People can't concentrate properly on blowing other people to pieces if their minds are poisoned by thoughts suitable to the twenty-fifth of December." -Ogden Nash

No comments: