Saturday, November 04, 2006

POLITICS: SOMETIMES ALL YOU CAN DO IS LAUGH

I had a math teacher in junior high -- I can't remember his name but whenever he got mad, the vein in his forehead would thrash around like a crazed weasel (feel free to use that metaphor whenever you like). He was a pretty angry guy. He'd start yelling about something or another and you wouldn't hear a word he said because his forehead was growing tighter and tighter and tighter. The girl who sat beside me --I think her name was Laurie Woodcock-- would always starting wincing, afraid, like me, that the vein would break free of its moorings and pop through the skin. I'd lay even odds the guy didn't make it to sixty.

Sometimes, when I'm reading about the outrageous things our political 'leaders' do in the name of national security or moral values, my face gets flush and I think of that math teacher. I realize, I can't let the bastards get to me even more than they already do.

So, ever cognizant of the damage high blood pressure can cause, these links are here to make you chuckle... rather than upchuck.
  1. The Daily Show explains the midterm elections... Schoolhouse Rock style. [link]
  2. I've always had a fondness for the daily comic strip Fox Trot. Not because it's brilliant, but because the character of Jason always spoke to the geek in me. Every year he finds an incredibly appropriate Halloween costume to comment on the idiocy of our modern world. This year, he's a touch-screen voting machine. [link]
  3. The Kansas Board of Education vs Sanity. [link]
  4. "This is not a rebel song..." (an oldy but a goody) [link]
  5. And for those of you who just can't get enough black face at your pee wee football games... [link]

No comments: