Thursday, November 02, 2006


LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW

Actually, I am so NOT ready for winter. But it snowed today in Ann Arbor anyway. I can accept that the weather in the Midwest can be downright fickle but, man, I didn't even have time to take down my Halloween decorations. Still, the styrofoam tombstones in our front garden do look kinda cool dusted with the white stuff.

This sudden shift in the weather (it was 54 degrees and drizzly two day ago) gives me a great excuse to post an amazing microscopic photo of a snowflake that I pulled off Wikipedia. (Don't worry, it's legal, the picture's in the public domain).

Anyway, now that we're heading into mid-term election week I figured I'd link to some politically-themed sites and stories. I could go on and on about how disgusted, disillusioned and dis... uh... gruntled (btw, can you be gruntled?) I am with our supposedly elected officials but who wants to read that nonsense. Instead, I'll let you work up your own bile with these juicy tidbits:
  1. TSA's War On Moisture claimed its first casualty as screeners denied a diabetic Kiwi chef access to his insulin. The 43-year old man had a severe diabetic attack mid-flight, fell into a coma, and ended up hospitalized for two weeks. Feel safer now? Read about it here.
  2. Diebold, George Bush's favorite voting machine company, filed a lawsuit against HBO in an attempt to cancel a documentary that reveals just how inaccurate and insecure their machines are. If the case makes it to trial, Dienold will ask jurors to deliver their verdict via paperless, touch screen computers. Read about it here.
  3. Halliburton, Dick Cheney's favorite industrial-military complex, lands a totally sweet $365 million contract: building vast new detention camps. Anyone ever seen the movie, The Seige? I don't know why they can't just use Shea Stadium to detain immigrants like Bruce Willis did. Read about it here.
  4. And here's a bit of news that has nothing to do with the fact that our President and Vice-President used to be oil men. Nothing whatsoever. Total coincidence. Really. It's the terrorists (who are on the run, by the way). ... Exxon's third quarter revenue was $99.59 billion... which is greater than the entire annual gross domestic product of the United Arab Emirates ($98.1 billion) or Kuwait ($52.76 billion). Read about it here.
  5. And finally... this has nothing to do with politics but I kinda suspect there's a Republican in Congress somewhere just like this guy. "Calling Dr. Scholls..."

No comments: