Monday, January 29, 2007

BUT IT'S ON CLEARANCE

I once heard this interview on NPR with the wife of a factory worker who had just been laid off from his South Carolina textile job because the company had decided to move operations to Honduras. She was shopping in a Wal-Mart and pretty bitter about the whole situation. The interviewer asked her what she was buying and she showed him some blouses. When the interviewer asked her where the blouses were made she read the label aloud... "Honduras."

Oddly enough this revelation did not dissuade her from shopping at Wal-MArt. Instead, she said she'd continue shopping there because they were so cheap.

I take this as a sign that consumerism and common sense have nothing to do with one another. In celebration of this devil-may-care attitude about personal finances. I offer up these wondrous goods for your consideration:
  1. If it was good enough for George Bush when he was a baby, it's good enough for my junior.
  2. My birthday is just 4 months away and I'm sure I'll still have a runny nose.
  3. Cheap and useful... turn your tub faucet into a drinking fountain.
  4. A rocking chair for mutants.
  5. For the computer geek who has everything.
  6. Okay, my kids would love these.
  7. Cool-ass magnets. Get 'em here.
  8. Only the bravest crook would look for your money here.
  9. For the lady in your life: the ultimate shoe rack.
  10. I really want this! If someone gets it for me I'll convert any obscure 80s cassette I own into a Cd for them.