Thursday, February 12, 2009

DAVID LETTERMAN IS STILL THE SHIT

I used to religiously watch David Letterman in college, when he was on NBC. Before Jay Leno screwed him out of the Tonight Show. Four nights a week I'd take a break from my studies (when I wasn't working) and I'd laugh my ass off at whatever ridiculous or ego-deflating move Dave would pull on his show. I remember when Cher called him an asshole and he brilliantly, and cleverly, put her in her place. I remember when Stevie Nicks' people sent him a threatening letter not to mention her on his show and then he spent weeks mocking her. Letterman has a mean streak once you cross him and he isn't afraid to let you have it.

I haven't seen much of the show for the last decade or so. Occassional clips here and there. I think I've only seen one or two full episodes. But if you watch this clip, it's clear Dave still has it.
Joaquin Phoenix acts like a pretentious asshole and Letterman plays along for about 2 minutes before he starts to openly mock him (round about the 'unibomber' line).

If someone screws around with Dave's show --Letterman clearly hates actors and actresses who act like they're too good to be there-- he has no problem bitch slapping them but good. And the truth is, you're a fool if you think you can get the upper hand on the dude. I've seen him effortlessly put Bill O'Reilly in his place.

Or was the whole things a put on? An Andy Kaufman moment. You decide.

Watch and laugh...


No comments: