Tuesday, January 29, 2008

HILLARY'S SONG

So, Hillary Clinton (who I sincerely hope doesn't win the Democratic nomination) has picked 'When The Lady Smiles' by Golden Earring as her campaign song, playing it at rallies. The chorus goes...

"When the lady smiles,
I can't resist her call,
As a matter of fact,
I don't resist at all."

I can see why they were drawn to it. Although IMO it sounds vaguely Orwellian. What they didn't seem to realize is that the lyrics continue to say...

When the lady smiles, you know it drives me wild,
Her lips are warm and resourceful
My friends tell me, she's the beast inside your paradise."

Christian fundamentalists should have a field day with that one.

What is it with politicians? They pick songs for a snippet of lyric here or there but understand nothing of context. It really makes you question they're ability to legislate. Doesn't nuance matter?

Hillary's choice makes about as much as sense as Reagan's use of Springsteen's "Born In The USA" --a criticism of the country's involvement in Vietnam, the poor treatment of its soldiers, and the hopelessness of its veterans.

To make matters worse, here's the video for Golden Earring's charming little ditty... sexual assault on a nun intact.




Full disclosure: I was obsessed with Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" and "Radar Love" as a teen.

No comments: